Toasted Almond and Cumin-Orange Lamb on Warm Flatbread
Lamb slow cooked in sticky cinnamon, whole cumin and orange till fall apart tender, served on flatbread with dill yoghurt and topped with toasted almonds.
// Get ready to cook:
1. Pre-heat pot to medium-high heat; add 1 Tbsp oil and lamb pieces. Leave to cook unmoving for 1 min then stir fry for 2 mins to sear and brown.
2. Add cumin seeds; stir fry for 30 sec. Add Shandong Sticky Cinnamon; stir fry for 30 sec. Add orange juice; mix well.
3. Cover with lid, turn down to low heat and simmer for 40 min. Stir occasionally, adjusting heat as necessary. Uncover and simmer for a further 5-10 mins until sauce thickens.
4. In the meantime, combine dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Warm flatbreads in the oven if desired.
5. Spread flatbreads with dressing then top with shredded carrot. Add lamb and sauce and garnish with toasted almonds. Serve with a cheeky glass of red.
5 Tbsp (75g) Shandong Sticky Cinnamon
300g Diced Lamb Leg
2 tsp Whole Cumin Seeds
200ml Orange Juice
15g Flaked Almonds, Toasted
50g Shredded Carrot or Other Salad
4 Tbsp (60g) Greek Yoghurt
5g Dill, Chopped
Share this recipe with other Foodies
Shandong Sticky Cinnamon
Shandong Sticky Cinnamon represents the flavours of the Eastern Chinese dish Red Braised Pork (Hong Shao Rou). Pork slowly braised in a cinnamon and clove infused caramel sauce, it is little wonder then that this was apparently one of Chairman Mao’s favourite dishes!
About this dish:
Cooking Equipment: Medium Pot with Lid.