Chilli Fennel and Dark Chocolate BBQ Chicken
Our summer BBQ craving killer – juicy chicken thighs marinated in chilli and fennel then caramalised in a citrus dark chocolate glaze. Finger lickin’ goodness!
// Get ready to cook:
1. Place chicken thighs in a bowl. Add fennel and Mozambican Coconut Piri Piri; mix well and leave to marinate for at least 15 mins.
2. Pre-heat oven to 180°C fan. Place chicken thighs skin side up on a baking tray and bake for 40-45 mins or until cooked.
3. In the meantime, prepare the glaze by adding orange juice and Mozambican Coconut Piri to a sauce pan. Heat on medium heat and simmer to reduce by half. Remove from heat and stir in dark chocolate to melt. Divide glaze into two portions. If making Chimichurri Slaw, mix ingredients in a bowl and leave to rest in the chiller.
4. Once thighs are cooked, remove from oven and toss with one portion of glaze. Return to oven for a further 10-12 mins to caramalise.
5. Plate up, drizzle with reserved glaze and serve with Chimichurri Slaw.
4 Large Chicken Thighs (Bone In, Skin On)
2 Tbsp (30g) Mozambican Coconut Piri Piri
2 tsp Fennel Seeds, Ground
3 Tbsp (45g) Mozambican Coconut Piri Piri
15g Dark Chocolate Pieces (70%)
80ml Orange Juice
Optional: Chimichurri Slaw
90g Dry Coleslaw Mix
1 Tbsp (15g) Cuban Chimichurri
1 Tbsp (15g) Mayonnaise
Share this recipe with other Foodies
Mozambican Coconut Piri Piri
Mozambican Coconut Piri Piri captures the essence of Mozambique, an East African coastal nation, whose culinary culture has also been influenced by its Portuguese colonial past. It is inspired by the iconic Piri Piri restaurant in Maputo city, a simple unpretentious eatery which has served locals its signature grilled piri piri chicken for decades.
About this dish:
1hr 15 mins
Cooking Equipment Needed: Baking Tray, Oven, Saucepan